ABOUT CENTRAL LEAGUES CLUB
In 1910, Central Newcastle Rugby League was formed by the Northern Branch of the New South Wales Rugby Football League and the first round of fixtures was put down. Central, the ‘Blue & White Butcher Boys’ was one of the four foundation teams to enter into the competition, defeating South Newcastle 13-4.
On the 1st of July 1973, Central Charlestown Rugby League Football Club opened its doors. The original club house, which was originally reconstructed after being transported from Beresfield Bowling Club, was built on Bula Street, Charlestown. A band of loyal supporters, foundation members and directors put in thousands of hours of volunteer work to complete the Club.
In 1982 the Central Charlestown Rugby League Football Club Ltd and Central Charlestown Leagues Club Ltd became separate identities and since that time both Clubs have operated separately but with the common aim of the propagation of rugby league in the area.
The club has expanded through a number of renovations and through the sponsorship of multiple sports associations and teams. Membership has risen from a few hundred in 1973 to over 11,000 in 2019.